A weekend camping at Kirk Creek Campground in Big Sur, CA
We kicked off our inaugural #vanlife weekend at Kirk Creek Campground in Big Sur with some of our best friends.
Where we Stayed:
Kirk Creek Campground lies right on the cliffs of the Big Sur coastline. It has creek and ocean access from the campground and hiking trailheads across the street.
What we did:
- Played on Sand Dollar Beach – we were blessed (and cursed) with 100 degree temps over labor day. A beach day was a must.
- Hiked the Vicente Flat Trail in the Ventana Wilderness. The trailhead is across the street from Kirk Creek Campground.
- The trail is about 10 miles out/back round trip. We decided to only hike about three miles in. The trail heads up into the canyon and away from the coastal views around mile 4 making Vicente Flat a great place to camp overnight away from the wind and coastal elements.
- Beautiful 180 degree views of the coastline
- Note: you can backpack in to camp at Vicente Flat
- Bathed in Kirk Creek after hiking in 100 degree temps
- Watched some seriously epic sunsets from our campsite
- Celebrated the 30th birthday of my very best friend and domestic partner Annie Le
- If you want to read more about our first day on the road driving to Big Sur – check out our post “Staying Positive When Shit Hits the Fan”
A few notes on Kirk Creek Campground:
- Reservations can be made at www.reservecalifornia.com
- Price: $35/night
- Open: All year (peak season May – Sept)
- Booking Window: 6 months in advance (or up to 3 days ahead of arrival online). So if today is September 23, 2017 – the booking window is open through March 23, 2018.
- Overview: There are 33 campsites. Max # per site: 8 people / 2 Vehicles (they may start charging you extra after 6ppl/1 vehicle)
- My favorite sites are 22, 9, 21. However, it’s hard to go wrong at any site
- There’s creek and ocean access on a path from Site 9
- There’s hiking trails across Hwy 1
- Sand Dollar Beach is about 3 miles south on Hwy 1
Want to read more about Big Sur camping? Check out Limekiln Campground.